Welcome, public visitor.  
Board of Education
Master Calendar
Staff Directory


What does a school counselor do?

A school counselor is a professional educator with a mental health perspective who understands and responds to the needs and the challenges presented by a diverse group of students. While there is only one school counselor at WAMS, I do not work in isolation. I work in conjunction with the principals, teachers, nurses, other staff and administrators, as well as parents to assist students. I can also help with referrals for school support teams/programs (such as the Student Assistance Program) or outside agencies.
How do I make an appointment to see the school counselor?
Stop by the office window and ask the secretaries if I am available or ask if you can see me at another time. I will get back to you as soon as I can. Please remember, there are over 450 students and one of me. If it is something really, really important, be sure to let the secretaries know. Depending on the situation, you may need to see one of the principals as soon as possible.

What about confidentiality?
Privacy and confidentiality are essential to having an effective school counseling program. We understand how important the relationship is between the school, students and parents. Every effort will be made to protect student privacy except under certain circumstances. Those circumstances generally include safety issues (harm to self and/or others), legal issues and professional responsibilities. If you have any questions about confidentiality, please contact me or our principal, Mr. Paris.
Are students required to participate in any counseling program? 
No student is required to participate in any guidance and counseling program. If the parents of that student object, they may choose to limit participation at any time by sending an e-mail or writing a letter to the principal or counselor. 
What should I do if I am having trouble with homework?
If you are having trouble with your homework, the first thing that you should do is talk to your teacher.  Ask your teacher for help; show them what you have completed and where you may have gotten stuck. You may also choose to "phone a friend."  Setting up a fellow classmate as a buddy may be of assistance. The two of you can possible rely on helping remember something that was said in class or something that you may have missed copying in your notes.

You may also find some help following some of the links to the right.
What should I do if I need help studying:
Sometimes students are expected to know how to study, but may never have been taught. You can ask a teacher for some helpful suggestions on how to study for their tests. You can also search the internet for Study Skills. How To Study  is a great website to read study skills articles and to learn study tips. If you need additional help, contact me. I may be able to assist you with getting a tutor if needed.

What if I need help from services outside of school

Alissa Pyle
School Counselor
10774 Wattsburg Road
Erie, PA 10609
814-824-3400, ext. 4138
Useful Links & Resources

CHILDLINE 1-800-932-0313
(for any concerns regarding the welfare of child including neglect, abuse)
In a crisis situation - 24hour help
CRISIS SERVICES 814-456-2014
The number and links below will connect you to information on agencies that specialize in working with children:

The following links may help you with a variety of subjects:
Language Arts:    
All Subjects:   
      or factmonster.com 


WAMS promotes a healthy and safe environment that is free of drugs and alcohol. In addition to participating in Red Ribbon Week activities, drug and alcohol awareness and prevention programs continue throughout the year.  These include:
*A Drug and Alcohol Counselor from Pyramid HealthCare Services who attends the Student Assistance Program
 *Personnel from EPIC Outreach
View text-based website